Re: Makefiles verbosity patch

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Makefiles verbosity patch
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:36:34 +0100 (BST)

Thanks - indeed good code - a long standing wish

Since this looks like a long standing wish from many developers, and I
expect more change requests in that area to appear, I wrote some little
new infrastructure for echoing messages in gnustep-make.

I took some ideas from your code - thanks - but mixed with many others
which have been floating for a very long time now.

The new gnustep-make on CVS should now only print messages like

 Compiling file NSObject.m...
 Linking library libgnustep-base...

 Installing library libgnustep-base...

instead of the long compiler/linker/install messages.  You can get full
messages, in the old way, by using 'make messages=yes'.

I built it in such a way that it should be possible to setup new
intermediate verbosity levels, and hopefully also translating the
messages!

I went quickly through gnustep-make to clean up the more extended messages
- many other messages are still there etc - will need more cleanup in the
details.

Comments from everyone are welcome.

Thanks for contributing :-) sorry for not applying your patch (which was
good), but I think it's better to think about translations/other
messages/other verbosity levels etc from the beginning, as it's very
likely we'll need more work in that area, so I preferred to go with
setting up everything in a general way.