.gmodel ?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: .gmodel ?
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:37:02 +0200

Hi,

last night I tried to port WordNet.app (http://www.mulle-
kybernetik.com/software/WordNet) to GNUstep. It's becoming sort of popular recently (although it's out for a couple of years now) and used to run on OPENSTEP, Rhapsody and Mac OS X. As always it was pretty simple to write the GNUmakefile's (thanks Nicola - the makefiles are really great!). One thing which stopped the porting, however, was some confusion about the interface files. I knew that there's this nib2gmodel tool which looked perfect in my case to get the conversion done with almost no effort. However, my application refused to load the .gmodel files - the error message (sorry, don't have it here right now) was something like that the .gmodel format couldn't be validated, with a '^' character pointing at the end of <plist version="0.9">. I have no clue what that means.

I then chose to draw the models manually using Gorm.app, but - after having set the File's Owner to a custom class - was unable to open the inspector after re-opening that .gorm file. The error message was something like 'NSDictionary does not respond to length' or something. Is this a known issue? The .gorm file will load in my application, but none of the connections are actually being set up (probably because there's a problem with the File's Owner, so the connection cannot be made).

Has anybody successfully ported an application consisting of more than one .nib's (just like WordNet.app) to GNUstep and has any best practices to share?

Thanks in advance,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com