Re: Font fallback mechanism

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Font fallback mechanism
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:42:25 +0200

[snip]
>   The only way I know is to really look at each font,
>   and find out what script it supports.
>   So even all the fonts are iso10646-1,
>   some support only from 1-256, some from 1-65536, etc.
>   I remember Unicode defines which segment is for which language.
>   I need to check it out.
>   And it will take more work than I thought.

The encoding doesn't really help here; what's interesting is what
'scripts' a font contains glyphs for. Fonts could be made to carry this
information (iirc, many ttf fonts already do, and in back-art I could
handle the rest using fields in .nfont packages), if there were methods
in NSFont or GSFontInfo for this. I believe Pango works something like
this, and OSX probably does, too (although I couldn't find anything
really script-related in their NSFont docs).

- Alexander Malmberg