Re: Bug in setPersistentDomain?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Bug in setPersistentDomain?
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:48:05 +0000

On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 02:33  pm, Andreas Heppel wrote:

Concerning the OSX specs, is it possible that we do have different issues? The document I have here reads that setPersistentDomain:forName: will raise an exception if a _persistent_ domain of this name already exists. The same goes for setVolatileDomain:forName:. This is complete nonsense to me, because doing it like this would mean I can't change a domain without previously removing it. Thus my question above how it can be that GNUstep conforms to both.

My copy of the documentation ... MacOS-X 10.2 (jaguar) doesn't say anything about setPersistentDomain:forName: raising an exception, but does say that setVolatileDomain:forName: raises an exception if the volatile domain name is already set.

The OpenStep spec says that setPersistentDomain:forName: raises an exception if a volatile domain has the name, and setVolatileDomain:forName: raises an exception if a persistent domain has the name (makes sense to me).
I just implemented what they all say ...

setPersistentDomain:forName:
  if volatile domain name exists ... raise exception
  if persistent domain name exists ... just replace it.

setVolatileDomain:forName:
  if volatile domain name exists ... raise exception
  if persistent domain name exists ... raise exception

Perhaps I should just do a test program to see what MacOS-X actually does?