Re: how to load .gmodel file?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: how to load .gmodel file?
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 06:30:23 -0800 (PST)

See below...
--- Naomaru Itoi <nitoi@activcard.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Great job in the project ... Thanks.
>
> I am trying to port a program written with Cocoa on MacOSX (really simple
> program ... actually the CurrencyConverter sample) to GNUstep on Solaris.  I
> am trying to convert MainMenu.nib directory (and three .nib files in it)
> with nib2gmodel, but am not successful yet.
>
> When I run nib2gmodel on MainMenu.nib directory, it succeeds to generate a
> file, which is a XML file and does not look like a .gmodel file (.gmodel
> files I find in GNUstep packages aren't XML files).

It is a .gmodel file.   The gmodel files in the GNUstep directories are in
.plist format.  GNUstep can handle either .plist or XML format.

> When I run nib2gmodel on MainMenu.nib/classes.nib, I get "An uncaught
> exception was raised.  Cannot load 2.x-style .nib files."  And it doesn't
> generate any .gmodel files.
>
> Hence the questions.
>
> - Is my nib2gmodel is doing what it's supposed to do?  Or do I have
> installation/configuration problem?
> - Is nib2gmodel-0.8.0 self-contained?  Or do I need to install libraries
> like gnustep-core, gnuste-gui, etc.?  When I installed nib2gmodel on MacOS
> X, it didn't complain about library dependencies, so I didn't install
> anything other than itself.
> - Should I run nib2gmodel on the directory (MainMenu.nib), or the file
> (MainMenu.nib/classes.nib)?

You MUST run it against the MainMenu.nib directory.  The nib2gmodel program
uses MOSX's nib loading methods to read the .nib and expects to be given the
directory name.

> - Am I missing something else?

Gorm.app, the InterfaceBuilder clone, is fully functional now and you should be
able to use it to create the gui. :)

> I will greatly appreciate any help and advice.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Concentration ... Naomaru Itoi

Later, GJC