aggregate makefile not working correctly (make install)

From: Andreas Hoeschler
Subject: aggregate makefile not working correctly (make install)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 17:35:17 +0100

Hi all,

assume you have a number of libraries, bundles and tools that depend on each other and that you want to build with a single make file. I have set this up as follows:

GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES = $(GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT)/Makefiles
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
SUBPROJECTS = <list of projects; libraries first, then the bundles, then the tools>
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/aggregate.make

Whenever I add a new symbol to one of the libraries, the tools depending on this library/symbol do not compile with "make install".

ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to shared_obj/sparc/solaris2.8/gnu-gnu-gnu/HolzPoolWeb

I need to cd into in to the library directory that got a new symbol, do "make install" there, cd back to the parent directory and type "make install" again. That is a bit annoying. What am I missing? Shouldn't this work? I expected "make install" on an aggrete project to do "make install" with all subprojects. It looks like it is doing "make" with all subprojects first which leads to this problem. Any ideas?

Regards,

   Andreas