gpbs, font_cacher problems.

From: Mike Reid
Subject: gpbs, font_cacher problems.
Date: 07 Jan 2003 10:05:12 -0500

Hello,

I'm hoping someone has some info about these two tools in the GNUstep
core. For some reason I can't either of them to work.

I first tried the stable packages, things compiled and installed. I used
the defaults (ie. ffcall1.8d, install to /usr/GNUstep, the xlib
backend). Everything seemed to be working, but the gpbs server wouldn't
startup. I'd run it, it'd load for a second, and then the error
"Aborted" appears on the console and the program terminates.  Both
gdomap and gdnc work fine, and I am running X when I do this. For the
stable version of GNUstep font_cacher worked.

Hoping the problem was solved in a later version I downloaded Dec. 16
snapshots of the core, uninstalled the stable versions, installed the
updated, and tried gpbs. It just seems to hang there forever.. I run the
program and it never returns me to the prompt. I can kill it fine and my
system doesn't become unstable but it refuses to give me any feedback at
all. Even using the --no-fork, or even --help produces no output and
still seems to hang. In this new version font_cacher has the same
behaviour as gpbs, neither of the two programs work at all.

This is getting long, but one last bit of info I picked up:
I tried compiling debugging symbols into both tools, and then using gdb
5.2.1 (without the objc patch) to find out where its halting. But I
can't get gdb to give me any info either. I put a breakpoint at the
start of main. Doesn't seem to hit it, I tried breaking on
__libc6_startup (not too sure thats the right name), nothing.

So, has anything experienced anything like this? Any info is
appreciated.

-Mike Reid