Re: Canonical Framework Makefiles?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Canonical Framework Makefiles?
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:28:02 +0000 (GMT)

> I am co-authoring an Objective-C book with Christian Brunschen, and we
> have decided, together with our editor, that we want it to be an
> Objective-C book, not an Apple book, which means we certainly want to
> give GNUstep fair time (see the O'Reilly Objective-C pocket reference,
> though I am not connected with that).

Great!  It will also make it a far more interesting book. :-)

> Currently, I am writing on frameworks, and would like to be able to
> provide a "canonical" example of a GNUstep framework makefile.  All the
> makefiles I have seen are for libraries, and I am pretty sure that my
> attempt to turn that into a working framework makefile woul yield
> something that's rather, er, sub-optimal, even if I get it to work.

Not necessarily - they are very similar. :-)

> So:  what would a canonical framework GNUmakefile?  What are likely
> options?

You got excellent replies/examples already. :-)

Basically, you just use 'include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/framework.make'
instead of 'include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/library.make', and you have all
the options (xxx_OBJC_FILES, xxx_C_FILES, xxx_HEADER_FILES,
xxx_RESOURCE_FILES, etc) of both bundles and libraries.

gnustep-make is generally trying to standardize the options of all project
types, so that you can use the same options on most projects (plus of
course a very few, project-specific, options).

For a practical example, I build GNUstep Renaissance as a library on
GNUstep, and as a framework on Apple Mac OS X - using the same GNUstep
makefiles; the only different being that in the first case I include
library.make, in the second case I include framework.make (the make
ifeq(,) is done depending on the type of foundation library used).  But of
course I can do it because I don't have resources in the framework.