Re: Objective-C Programming

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Objective-C Programming
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:54:00 +0100

Am Freitag den, 17. Januar 2003, um 18:55, schrieb Dennis Leeuw:

Hi all,

As you might have figured I am trying to teach myself Objective-C
programming. As most of you know I am not a programmer in the sense that
I can write more then shell-scripts and a little perl. So this is gonna
be a long trip ;)

To understand things, I'd like to keep notes and I figured I might as
well make the notes public, and put them together to create a book on
how to learn Objective-C. Maybe this is useful to others too.

The problem however is, that I am new and thus bound to make mistakes
and I am Dutch so also bound to misinterprete English texts and write
wrong English sentences. All in all I am faced with a very large change
of creating something that is only useful too me, in correct, and a
complete wrong understandig of Objective-C...

So I would like to ask your help on this. To make things easier I have
the following sources at hand:
The C programming language (second edition) from Kernighan and Ritchie
Objective-C Pocket Reference from Andrew Duncan (O'Reilly) which btw
also mentions Nicola Pero as contributer, and GNUstep as a library
class!!!
And ofcourse the Internet.

A really good book for learning Objective-C and GNUstep/Cocoa is "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by by Aaron Hillegass, ISBN: 0201726831 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201726831/ . Although this book is focused on Cocoa/Mac OS X (Screenshots etc.) it should be easy to pick the main concepts since GNUstep is Cocoa minus some extensions. And if you use Projectcenter and Gorm this is even more true (thus avoiding writing make files by hand and such stuff, you'll learn that later if you really need it).

The book usually gets the best references compared to other Cocoa books if this topic comes up on cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com. And I for myself can state here that it is fun reading it.

http://documents.made-it.com/GNUstep/programming.html

Thanks,

Dennis Leeuw