Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:40:44 +0100

On 2003-01-20 12:51:05 +0100 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

On 2003-01-20 11:52:19 +0100 Andreas Heppel <aheppel@web.de> wrote:

By the way, how does the help system is intended to work, for international
support ?

Isn't this inherently implemented in pathForResource:ofType: ? I think this methods checks my languange sundirectories in myapp.app/Resources for appropriate language dependent stuff, doesn't it?

Err ... yes, it does. I tested it and it works beautifully ;)
Duno why I didn't thought of that. :)))
It really does. I just tried it for Burn.app. Beautiful. :)) Thx.

What I'd be interested in more, is the question how to set up a context sensitive help for certain UI elements. To be more precise I seem to have understood the API, but would like to know how an application is supposed to reach 'context help mode'. Will I have certain buttons in my panels or should there be a menu entry or how else is this supposed to be in *Step?

A context sensitive help ? you mean, tooltips ?

Well, yes and no. Tooltips were interestinmg, too, but as far as I've seen they are not implemented, yet. But what I have found (and what could be a kind of replacement for tooltips) is the possibility to register help strings for objects. It's in NSHelpManager:
- (NSAttributedString*) contextHelpForObject: (id)object
The method
- (BOOL) showContextHelpForObject: (id)object locationHint: (NSPoint) point
will then pop up a panel displaying this help text.
Using
- (void) activateContextHelpMode: (id)sender
one can activate a context help mode where the context help panel is opened automagically when the user clicks on the object, e.g. a UI element. My question is where activateContextHelpMode would be called, i.e. do I provide a menu entry such as 'Context Help F1' or maybe something else. I wonder whether there is a 'standardised' *Step way of achieving this.

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Heppel

Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out GSburn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net