Re: Getting NSToolbar working

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: Getting NSToolbar working
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:58:32 +0100

Hi,

Alan West (alan@alanz.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> GNUstep is all still a bit new to me but...
>
> I've written an example app (based on a website article) which uses
> NSToolbar in an attempt to get it working. I've found that NSToolbar
> uses a GSToolbarView (inherits NSView), which doesn't appear to ever be
> allocated anywhere. Looking at the documentation I get the impression
> NSToolbar wouldn't need an NSView object as an NSToolbar would appear on
> screen as a collection of controls arranged in a particular way.

Yes but the Apple implemenentation seems really ugly (because a poor design )
Most of the NSToolBar Apple code seems to be in NSWindow.

For the GNUstep I think the GSToolbarView is probably the best idea.
GSVBox GSHBox could be useful if you want to keep the Apple behavour.

the "standard toolbar item identifiers" specialy
(SeparatorItem,SpaceItem,FlexibleSpaceItem)
and the customization Pallette  are very MacOSeX-ish, not "more NeXT-like
than NeXT was" (tm)

For the identifiers you could try to not implemnent them...
For the customisation Pallette I don't have any idea.

Fabien