gdnc, gpbs... was Re: Rejoyce! At last it seems to work...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: gdnc, gpbs... was Re: Rejoyce! At last it seems to work...
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 02:13:16 +0200

on 4/20/03 12:51 AM, Willem Rein Oudshoorn at woudshoo@xs4all.nl wrote:

>> on 4/19/03 9:43 PM, Willem Rein Oudshoorn at woudshoo@xs4all.nl wrote:
>>
>> I just rebooted cleanly. a script is in init.d, which should source and
>> start the two daemons
>> The sourcing doesn't work that well, since I still have to source later.
>
> Any idea what goes wrong?
no, but probably sourcing the file in init.d isn't enough. the env changes
get lost. My knowledge unix details sis sometimes too small.

Where do you "source" it? at ever login? that is slow and cumbersome

> I think that is crucial.
> Just for your information,  the fact that GDNCServer entry exist in
> gdomap does not mean that it will actually work.  For example if
> gdnc crashes the entry will stay there.
well, it is there, gdomap and gdnc, the entry remains there. afterall that
seems to work.

> Are you running GNUstep applications on one machine and displaying
> on a X-server running on another machine?
Yes that is it. The Sun is headless, I export the display. I noticed that if
I login from another computer I get
gdnc
gdnc -NSHost computer1
gdnc -NSHost computer2

this almost kills my sun, every gdnc is 6megs ram (2.2 resident). I have
only 32 MB of ram on my sparc
Also, logging out from one machine doesn't stop it: every gdnc instance
remains there occupying space.

but at this point, everything seems to work. Starting gdomap correctly was
probably the clue.

The fact that gworkspace isn't capable of contacting gpbs is mysterius. Also
the Backgrounder problem is it. Enrico tells me that probably it is not
gworkspace fault, but GNUstep's.
Now I am a bit clueless.

-riccardo