Re: NSTabView. to many

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: NSTabView. to many
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 20:59:52 +0200

Hi,

On 2003-06-04 11:17:10 +0200 <Oystein@Knowlex.no> wrote:

How can I get the tabs to scroll if I have got too many of them?

There is no way to scroll tabs.

I have got a tab view that is dynamic and the user are allowed to add
more tabs than what fits in the area set for the NSTabView.
How do I get only the tabs to scroll?

Tab view is not intented to hold too many tabs. Interfaces (dialogs/windows)
with overtabbed tabviews, like we know from some MS windows apps, are difficult
to use and navigate throught the tab forest. I would suggest you to rethink and
redesign the user interface.

For example you can use another kind of container (browser or matrix in scroll
view). Another option should be to use NSPopUpButton to hold all 'tabs' and
connect it to the tab view. You can set tab view type to NSNoTabsBezelBorder
and set target of NSPopupButton to be the tabview and action to be
takeSelectedTabViewItemFromSender:. With this connection, when you select some
item from NSPopupButton action is sent to the tab view and tab item is changed
to reflect the selection.

Stefan
--
http://urbanek.host.sk

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi