Re: SGStep/LinuxStep/Alternatives?

From: René Berber
Subject: Re: SGStep/LinuxStep/Alternatives?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 17:42:14 -0500

On 2003-06-05 16:27:03 -0500 W. Kennedy <it0mat0@email.com> wrote:

> I had no luck getting Simply GNUstep to load last year when I tried, and
> looking at the Sourceforge page, it seems like there's been little progress.
> How is LinuxStep?
> Are there any other linux/gnustep installations?

You can get a very easy, automated, installation of GNUstep if you use Gentoo
Linux, just have to run 5 or 6 times emerge.

I have GNUstep on RedHat too, and the result with Gentoo, running under KDE, is
not as pretty as the installation following these instructions
http://documents.made-it.com/GNUstep/buildguide.html on RH and running it under
WindowMaker; but it was easier.  By pretty I mean it works slowly but
correctly, under KDE there are too many details that make things hard (menu
items highlight below the cursor position, not under but about one item below,
and such).

Following the instruction on the above link does take some time, but I think
it's the recommended option.

Hope this helps.
--
René Berber