GNUstep --> Orthogonal Persistence

From: Lachlan Deck
Subject: GNUstep --> Orthogonal Persistence
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:46:21 +1000

Hi all,

just joined....

I'm doing a presentation (20th June), for one of my Uni subjects, Comparing Objective-C with Java and I was hoping I might be able to get some pointers from people on this list regarding the above topic.

I've noticed that there is a group who have worked on an implementation for Objective-C (objectpark.org) with their project SOIL - but I haven't gotten a reply from them as yet.

For Java's persistence options I'm referencing the following paper:
[Atkinson, M. P. et al., Design issues for persistent Java: A type-safe, object-oriented, orthogonally persistent system, , Proc. of the 7th International Workshop on Persistent Object Systems, Cape May, 1996.
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/pjava/pjava-pos7.pdf]

which specifies...

__Goals for PJava__
The design of PJava seeks to provide an orthogonally persistent system that meets the following goals. 1 No loss of safety when utilising persistence and ideally, an increase in consistency. 2 No impact on the performance of programs that do not use persistence; minimum performance
penalties and, if possible, performance gains for those that do.
3 Minimal changes to the language.
4 Simple, almost subliminal, use of persistence for many programmers that can be satisfied by
a default model of transactions.
5 Sophisticated and precise control of transactional programming for those that require it.

Would anyone be able to either point me in the direction of similar projects for Objective-C (and more importantly documentation, and/or discuss GNUstep options with me in relation to this topic?

It would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks.

with regards,

--