Re: Language Setup Document

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Language Setup Document
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:12:08 -0400

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama <kazunobu.kuriyama@nifty.com>
To: Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
CC: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Language Setup Document (Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th character ...)
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:56:46 +0900

Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

 This is not under my control. :)

Are you suggesting a kind of rejection? Is there someone who is in charge of it other
than the author?

 I mean I have no right to access GNUstep CVS and web site.
 I have no preference where it should be.
 By the way, I just check GNUstep and Wiki websites.
 This document is in user section in both websites.

Moreover, contrary to the explanation of your article, the XIM I use works fine even though it doesn't use either UTF8 or Big5 for encoding. I've never touched XIMInputServer.m
for the purpose the article suggests.

Indeed, I just check the source code again and XIM section is not necessary.

I think your computer understands none of Chinese characters even today.
It is simply doing mappings as it is told. It should be irrelevant to which
language is used.

I think it's high time to make the document official.

 I think an official document need to be test as what we do right now.
 By the time, I guess I was the only one who need it and test it.
I would be happy it is more official, but not in the form of my original document.

If you find my claims resonable, I'd like you to read the attached file.
If you find it useful for you, I'm willing to cooperate with you.

The document looks very good. Just don't forget to put you as the author. :) PS. I add the part of Traditional Chinese, and not sure ablut the LC_CTYPE,
      which is just a reminder.

 Yen-Ju

- KK

How to set up GNUstep for East Asian languages

Yen-Ju Chen

2003-07-04 Versions 2.0 beta

1. Introduction
---------------

This brief article illustrates how to set up your GNUstep for the East
Asian languages known as CJK (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) in literature.
We assume that you already know how to set up your X Window System
for your language environment such as locale, fonts, and input methods.
We also assume that you selected 'art' as the backend of GNUstep's GUI.

Like other computer software made outside the region, GNUstep requires
some adjustment to use those languages.  The adjustment consists of
the following steps:

1. Prepare one or more true type font files which contain characters
   of your native language, and organize them in a certain way so that
   the art backend can use them.
2. Set the environmental variable GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING to an appropriate
   value for the language in use.
3. Set the NSGlobalDomain variables such as NSFont, NSFontSize, and NSUserFont,
   to name a few, to appropriate values using the GNUstep's
   utility 'defaults'.

Now we explain each step in detail.

2. Fonts
--------

The art backend expects necessary true type font files to be found in the
specified directories, which are usually $GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT/Library/Fonts
and $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/Fonts.  You need to organize font files
in a certain way (see below) so that the art backend can recognize them.

For example, suppose you have a hypothetical true type font file called
MyFont.ttf and want to allow all other users to use it.  Then, as root,

    # cd $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/Fonts
    # mkdir MyFont.nfont
    # cd MyFont.nfont

With your favorite editor, create a file whose contents is as follows:

{
    Faces = (
        {
            PostScriptName = "MyFont";
            Name = "Regular";
            Files = ("MyFont.ttf");
        }
    );
}

Then save it as FontInfo.plist (the format above is known as property list in GNUstep, which explains why the extension is 'plist'). This small file system
you've created just now is referred to as .nfont package.

The FontInfo.plist above is just a bare-bones version. For further details,
we strongly recommend the reader to read nfont_packages.txt found at

   http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/nfont%20packages

If you want to use the font file personally, replace GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT with
GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT in the instruction above.

3. Encoding
-----------

As default, GNUstep assumes that a character is encoded in ISO8859-1 unless
the escape character \u precedes it (This exception applies to other encodings). Hence, if you want to use the characters of your native language with GNUstep, you have to tell it which encoding you use. This can be done by setting the
environmental variable GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING to an appropriate value.

The possible values for GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING are as follows:

  NSASCIIStringEncoding
  NSNEXTSTEPStringEncoding
  NSJapaneseEUCStringEncoding           // Japanese
  NSUTF8StringEncoding
  NSISOLatin1StringEncoding             // ISO-8859-1; West European
  NSSymbolStringEncoding
  NSNonLossyASCIIStringEncoding
  NSShiftJISStringEncoding              // Japanese
  NSISOLatin2StringEncoding             // ISO-8859-2; East European
  NSUnicodeStringEncoding
  NSWindowsCP1251StringEncoding
  NSWindowsCP1252StringEncoding         // WinLatin1
  NSWindowsCP1253StringEncoding         // Greek
  NSWindowsCP1254StringEncoding         // Turkish
  NSWindowsCP1250StringEncoding         // WinLatin2
  NSISO2022JPStringEncoding             // Japanese
  NSMacOSRomanStringEncoding
  NSProprietaryStringEncoding

// GNUstep additions
  NSKOI8RStringEncoding                 // Russian/Cyrillic
  NSISOLatin3StringEncoding             // ISO-8859-3; South European
  NSISOLatin4StringEncoding             // ISO-8859-4; North European
  NSISOCyrillicStringEncoding           // ISO-8859-5
  NSISOArabicStringEncoding             // ISO-8859-6
  NSISOGreekStringEncoding              // ISO-8859-7
  NSISOHebrewStringEncoding             // ISO-8859-8
  NSISOLatin5StringEncoding             // ISO-8859-9; Turkish
  NSISOLatin6StringEncoding             // ISO-8859-10; Nordic
  NSISOThaiStringEncoding               // ISO-8859-11
  NSISOLatin7StringEncoding             // ISO-8859-13
  NSISOLatin8StringEncoding             // ISO-8859-14
  NSISOLatin9StringEncoding             // ISO-8859-15; Replaces ISOLatin1
  NSGB2312StringEncoding
  NSUTF7StringEncoding                  // RFC 2152
  NSGSM0338StringEncoding               // GSM (mobile phone) default alphabet
  NSBIG5StringEncoding                  // Traditional chinese

Of these values, choose an appropriate one for your purpose and set the
environmental variable to it.  For example, for sh or bash,

    $ export GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING=NSBIG5StringEncoding

or, for csh,

    % setenv GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING NSBIG5StringEncoding

4. User Default Values
----------------------

Now that you specify the encoding, you have to determine which fonts you
use to display the characters of your native language.

Becuase the fonts used in GNUstep GUI are initially set to those that are
appropriate for European languages, you have to overwrite them to display
the characters correctly.

At least, you need to change the user default value NSFont.  For example,
suppose you have an .nfont package called MyFont and want to use it to display the characters. To do this, use the GNUstep's utility 'defaults' as follows:

    $ defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSFont MyFont

Depending on situation, you may also need to set NSUserFont to MyFont.

In GNUstep, a pair of a key and a value such as (NSFont, MyFont) is called
a dictionary.

To confirm the value, use

    $ defaults read

If you want to remove the assignment entirely to revert to the original
default value, use

    $ defaults delete NSGlobalDomain NSFont

For further details about the user default values, the reader can refer to
the documents DefaultsSummary.html and NSFont.html shipped with the GNUstep
packages.

5. Examples
-----------

5.1. Traditional Chinese

 Environment Variable:

   LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5 (or LC_ALL=zh_TW.Big5 or LANG=zh_TW.Big5)
   GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING = NSBIG5StringEncoding

 MingTi.nfont package (use Arphic font as example):

   {
      Faces = (
        {
            PostScriptName = "MingTi";
            Name = "Regular";
            Files = ("bsmi00lp.ttf");
        }
      );
   }

 Set default font:

   $ defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSFont MingTi

5.2. Japanese

(Kazunobu Kuriyama gives an example here.)

5.3. Korean

(Waiting for someone who contributes it.)

6. Concluding Remarks

Although this article has focused on the CJK languages, most part of it
is also applicable to other languages if GNUstep supports the enconding
you need.

If you find a way to set up GNUstep with your native language other than
CJK, please consider to contribute it to the GNUstep community to share
your invaluable experience with others.  We'll greatly appreciate it.
Comments or suggestions are also welcome.