Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:13:26 +0200

Enrico Sersale wrote:

This is intended to be a reply also to Nicola, David and all the people that has answered :-)

I mean GNUstep-base, not base-extensions.

Now we're getting complicated... What is meant by base-extensions?

gnustep/core/base
supports an option explicitly set though:
make add=yes
that builds the parts in
gnustep/core/base/Source/Additions
against a "Foundation" implementation other than -base.

On the otherhand there is
gnustep/dev-libs/extensions
which has nothing to do with the previous thread except that the term "extensions" has been confusingly introduced.

But if I understand you corrctly, you want to build -base on OS X. You do not want to use Apple's Foundation (or AppKit)
then please do:
make distclean
in gnustep/core/base and gnustep/core/make

Now you must decide on an ObjC Runime library to use. Apple's or GNU's. Lars said that -base has problems with Apple's Runtime. It would be nice if we hand some more specific details, as the last time we discussed it, it ended in "don't send messages in +initialize with Apple's runtime" but this is a) not an option and b) was also reported to work. So eventhough I can imagine that there are still issues with Apple's Runtime and -base, I have no concrete idea what they are. (If no one can investigate this, I might take the offer ot ssh to someone's OS X and see what I can find out.)

To avoid problems, I suggest you use the GNU Runtime. Yet this is reportedly not installed by default on OS X. Therefor you might have to intall the FSF gcc.

Then in: gnustep/core/make
./configure --with-library-combo=gnu-gnu-gnu
build & install make
source GNUstep.sh

in: gnustep/core/base
./configure
make
sudo make install

Adding #include "gnsutep/base/GSObjCRuntime.h"
now I get this: (warnings removed)

/usr/bin/gcc GSLocale.m -c \
-MMD -MP -DGNUSTEP_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/GNUstep/System -DGNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep/Local -DGNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep/Network -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_DIR=\".\" -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_CPU=\"powerpc\" -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_OS=\"darwin6\" -DLIBRARY_COMBO=\"apple-apple-apple\" -Wall -Wcast-align -DNeXT_Foundation_LIBRARY=1 -DNeXT_GUI_LIBRARY=1 -DNeXT_RUNTIME=1 -framework Foundation -framework AppKit -traditional-cpp -dynamic -fno-common -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fnext-runtime -I../Headers/gnustep -I../Headers -I./. -I. \
      -o shared_obj/GSLocale.o

Now you're compiling code for -base using apple-apple-apple. This is definately wrong and maybe we should add something to -make or -base to disallow this. You can't build a "Foundation" compatible library using a "Foundation" library. Please reconfigure.

Cheers,
David