Re: GNUStep

From: Raffael Herzog
Subject: Re: GNUStep
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:34:28 +0200

Hi Dawa,

On 2003-07-20 17:15:17 +0200 Dawa Ometto <dawa@planet.nl> wrote:

I came across the gnustep.org website, and, being an OS X developer, I gotta say it all sounds great to me. The site isn't very helpful, though, and I'd just like to know if any active development on the project is still being done.

Yes, the GNUstep project is active, although it needs some more developers, IMHO. The site isnt't very helpful, that's right... I just started with GNUstep development and these are my sources of information:

1. The Cocoa docs
2. Some docs shipped with the GNUstep packages (gnustep-make, e.g.)
3. Sources of other applications (esp. GWorkspace and GNUMail)
4. The mailing lists
5. The GNUstep sources

That works fine, there's enough information available, IMHO. The differences between Cocoa and GNUstep are minimal (e.g. "MyInterface.gorm" instead of "MyInterface.nib"), although you always have to expect that something is buggy/not implemented in GNUstep (I'm not sure whether I ever encountered such a case, as I'm learning it from scratch and sometimes simply try "stupid" things :).

For information on the progress, the mailing lists are the number one source.

cu,
 Raffi

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is
               no difference, but in practice, there is.

Raffael Herzog - herzog@raffael.ch - http://www.raffael.ch - ICQ #67961355