Re: autogsdoc questions and suggestions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: autogsdoc questions and suggestions
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 05:54:01 +0100

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 12:25 AM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

hi,

I have a few questions concerning autogsdoc. First of all, I think it is a nice tool. Besides that, I was not able to find some readable and clean examples about how to use that tool.

QUESTIONS

1. How can I use CSS with HTML files generated by autogsdoc?
2. I have several frameworks:
   /SourceRoot
       /Documentation
       /Frameworks
           /Framework1
           /Framework2
How can I make top level documentation .html file containing references to all frameworks, and how can put it into GNUmakefile? Somtehing like 'suite contents'.

Ideally, you should be able to use a .gsdoc file together with the -Projects flag for autogsdoc to tell it how to find the projects you want to link to. However, the prjref element needed to refer to an external project as a whole is not implemented, so you would have to link to individual classes (or use a global scope index).

3. If I do not specify authors, I still can see Authors header in generated .html file, how can i remove that?
Should be fixed in cvs.

4. How can I tell autogsdoc to move authors and date to the bottom of the page? 5. Where should I put templates for such directory layout if they are common for all frameworks, except names? 6. How can I specify a template for class documentation? I do not want Contents, Authors and 'Software documentation for ...' title. The title is not necessary, because I already know that i am looking at class documentation. What i want is only a class name, description, declared in/conforms to, method index and method descriptions.

Maybe more questions comming soon.

I think there is pretty much a single answer to most of the above really ... autogsdoc does not have any customisability built in ... it was written primarily to generate gnustep-base documentation, and while it's still a good tool for documenting any other ObjC code, you get the same presentation that the base library gets.

That being said, you have two options ...

a. Change autogsdoc to do what you want ... eg. provide a new version of the AGSHtml.m source, rewrittten to use some form of templates. Any nicely designed, generic approach which produces something like the current output as default would probably be welcome.

b. Post-process the outupt ... since the output is currently xhtml, you can use an xslt tool to transform it any way you want, though you could of course use other text manipulation tools. This might need a minor tweak to AGSHtml.m to get it to output the appropriate <?xml version...> and <!DOCTYPE ...> header/wrapper info for stricter xslt tools.

SUGGESTIONS

I think that autogsdoc should strictly differentiate between pure class documentation and some generic documentation (like text in chapters).
I'm not sure what you mean by that. The base library documentation has generic documentation in Documentation/Base.gsdoc. Are you saying there should be generic documentation and class documentation in the same file?

What do you think about using code from DevelopmentKit in Autogsdoc? http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/develkit/ (see examples in Testing directory)

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/develkit/DevelopmentKit/ Testing/template.txt?rev=1.4&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
or
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/develkit/DevelopmentKit/ Frameworks/DevelopmentKit/ClassTemplate.m?rev=1.4&content-type=text/ vnd.viewcvs-markup

I'm very much against using external software (however good) ... I don't want to need to link against anything that might not be installed. I wanted it to be possible to build gnustep-base completely
in one go.

I mean, you download it and run 'make install' and everything is done, rather than -
download base, build and install library
download another library, build and install,
build and install autogsdoc and documentation

I know it's only a small thing, but I'd like it to be as easy as possible for a new user to get everything
they need installed.