Re: Patch for LanguageSetup.gsdoc

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Patch for LanguageSetup.gsdoc
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:14:55 -0400

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama <kazunobu.kuriyama@nifty.com>
To: Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
CC: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:52:22 +0900

Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

Please take the following into consideration before applying the patch:

(1) Because this document is primarily written for new GNUstep users, a concrete explanation for the phrase "If the application is localized for your native language"
should be required.  Say, I'd like to have an explanation like this:

If an application has a directory called <YourLanguage>.lproj in the bundle, it may be localized for that language. To enable this functionality, you need to set the user
default value NSLanguages to the language, e.g.,
   $ defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSLanguages '(YourLanguage)'

 It looks good.

(2) The part of the document to be patched is written independently of any language.
Hence, in terms of the context,
   $ defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSFont MyFont
is preferrable to
   $ defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSFont MingTi

The current patch is a little bit biased in favor of experienced Chinese steppers. Please think of novice users and people living in other nations into consideration.

The second part of the patch is in the section of then example of Traditional Chinese
 so that you see the "MingTi" and "TraditionalChinese".

 And I think maybe we should add another user defaults:

 $ defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSBoldFont MyFont

 since NSBoldFont won't fall back to NSFont.

 I'll send a new patch on Monday,
 or you can help me to make one and patch into CVS.
 I have no internet access from my FreeBSD over the weekend.

 Yen-Ju