GDNC and GPBS Problems in a multi user environment

From: Gebhart, Mark A
Subject: GDNC and GPBS Problems in a multi user environment
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:21:34 -0500

Hi,

        I have five Solaris 8 / GNUstep machines connected to a Solaris 8 / GNUstep server.  On the server I do not experience any problems with gdnc and gpbs.  Each workstation has a different user and in each user's .login a copy of gdnc and gpbs is started.  Several times a day on the workstations gdnc or gpbs will die without the user's knowledge and when you try to open a GNUstep application you get a root proxy error.  When gdnc is restarted the problem goes away.  For my environment do I need to just have one copy of gdnc / gpbs running when the user logs in at login time it is owned by a user on the workstation? Or does root need to start gdnc and gpbs at boot time?  Also I have a problem on the workstations with an error that pops up every now and then that says the GNUstep defaults lock file is already in use.  I am able to click ignore and this does not present a serious problem. ( However the users are becoming annoyed with this issue)

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Mark