Re: Unable to compile ProjectCenter 0.3.5 on SuSE 8.2

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Unable to compile ProjectCenter 0.3.5 on SuSE 8.2
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:19:49 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

I think this is actually due to the compiler version in use ... gcc-3.3 and later are a bit stricter about warnings ... so the -Werror causes a compile to fail
on more recent compilers where it would succeed on older ones.
The ideal solution is to modify the PC code to avoid generating the
warnings (eg don't define variables you are not going to use).

Yes, of course.  Let me clarify my intended statement:
-Wall -Werror is *good* for cvs, but bad for releases. :-)

None the less, PC should be fixed. I can look into a fix once I have the OK to update for the Header transitions. Philippe, I take it, you don't intend to make another release fixing this issue and based on a previous -base/-gui releases? Then I'll prepare a patch for PC to do both the Header update and fix some/all of these warnings. I'm hoping to commit the Header transition in about 4 hours or so, depending on pending feedback.

Cheers,
David