Re: Does GNUstep infringe on Apple's Intellectual Property?

From: John Anderson
Subject: Re: Does GNUstep infringe on Apple's Intellectual Property?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:35:24 -0400

Robert,

Thanks for your detailed response (which I have posted to the list below). You have essentially answered my question.

Here is my understanding:

(1) To the extent that the OpenStep specification was an "open" specification, I am now assured that GNUstep has some kind of irrevocable license from Apple.

(2) Furthermore, to the extent that GNUstep has had been contacted by Apple legal to remove icons, Apple has, at least, indirectly given GNUstep a license by not promptly issuing a "cease & desist" notice" or otherwise attempting to enforce whatever claims of infringement that it could make against GNUstep.

That being said, I would at least study the intellectual property details of the OpenStep specification before I invested serious amount of time and money in the development of GNUstep (and I might). Moreover, I would specifically contact Apple legal and demand that they provide notice of any possible issues that they with GNUstep infringing on their property.

- John