Re: Contacts - A Command-line AddressBook API utility

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: Re: Contacts - A Command-line AddressBook API utility
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:36:29 +0100

Hi,

On 2003-09-12 21:41:31 +0000 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:
I found a little GPLed command-line utility (written for OS X) which can search/add/view address book contact information from the command line. If
you're interested, please see http://gnufoo.org/contacts/

Good. I'll use that to test the address book framework I'm working on.

I know some people here are working on implimenting some sort of
AddressBook API. Can the folks doing so (if there are multiple) all please
raise their hands and write the gnustep community a brief little email
detailing what you're banging on?

*raise hand*

I'm writing an address book application called Contacts.app, available at http://giesler.biz/bjoern/English/Software.html#Contacts (actually, try also http://giesler.no-ip.org/bjoern/English/Software.html#Contacts, because giesler.biz's nameserver seems to have some problems which I can't fix right now).

The purpose is mainly to write a personal address book app that looks nice and is efficient and elegant to use, and will sync over Bluetooth with mobile devices. Since I'm writing an address book API anyway, and to aid GNUMail and other cross-platform apps, I'll make the API available as a framework, conforming to Apple's AddressBook API plus a few backward-combatable extensions.

AddressBook API? If not, why not? Is it a bad API?

No, it's quite OK. Misses a couple things, but overall it's good. It's also easy to implement with property lists.