Re: Lighthouse apps article at "The Register"

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Lighthouse apps article at "The Register"
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:53:48 -0700 (PDT)

I have already responded to them and I will keep the list aprised of any
updates.

My question is:

What happens to Java when/if Sun goes out of business?

Sun has held Java *very* close to their chest and they are not about to make it
easy for outside projects to clone it.   If Sun goes out of business or gets
taken over, what will become of the myriad of software which depends on the
latest JDK from Sun?  Sun's unremitting control of the Java language is the
biggest barrier, in my opinion, to it's use.

I'm suprised that this seems to never really have occurred to anyone.   Yet.

:)

Later, GJC

--- "Pascal J.Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

> Jim Balhoff writes:
> > Here is a short article about the Lighthouse apps and the
> > (un)likelihood of their release:
> >
> > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/32963.html>
>
> That's what you  get when you finance proprietary  software instead of
> free software.   With some  luck, you  end with the  right to  use the
> binaries with  a two-user license.  Most often, you end  with nothing,
> since hardware is not eternel.
>
> Next time, instead of buying binaries, pay for the sources!
>

> --
> __Pascal_Bourguignon__
> http://www.informatimago.com/
> Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
Petition to make Lighthouse Application Suite Free Software at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/laafs/petition.html
--- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---