Re: apple's objc runtime on linux?

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: apple's objc runtime on linux?
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:42:47 +1100

> In fact, it is a curiosity I have, which runtime is faster, and why
> there always comes
> the idea of unifying runtimes in favor of the apple one. Is it
> really better, and in which
> aspect? One thing I heard (but it was a long time ago, when I got to
> know objc, maybe
> it is not like this anymore), was that one great advantage of gnu's
> runtime is that it is
> thread-safe without the need of locks, while next's behaved
> differently on multi-threaded
> and single-threaded programs.

I don't think quality is the issue.  What is important is the mass of of
the user base.

Apple is shipping computers based on its run time at the rate of millions
each year.  There are tens of thousands of developers working with it. How
many people actually use the GNU Objective-C/Runtime? Never mind the
number of developers.

Bill Northcott