Re: GNUstep on Darwin! <VirusChecked>

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Darwin! <VirusChecked>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:21:32 +0100

On 24.11.2003 19:25:35 John Davidorff Pell wrote:
>On Nov 24, 2003, at 7:25 AM, Yves de Champlain wrote:
>>
>> Do you mean you are using Apple's objc with the NeXT runtime ?
>> I read a lot in the gcc mailing list but I found many questions and no
>> working answer !
>
>No, i compiled GNUstep's provided objc runtime (the one that says NOT
>to install it if you have gcc >=3.0)...
>
>> Could it be possible that on Darwin-only systems, the Gnu libobjc
>> could be built by default since all the Cocoa stuff is out of the way
>> (in my dreams maybe) ?
>
>Not right now. After someone competent becomes the maintainer of the
>GNU runtime, and re-enables it on darwin, then maybe. :-) But on
>Darwin, you still have the NeXT runtime available, just not Cocoa.
>Maybe we should look to making GNUstep less dependent on the GNU
>runtime?

I worked on this quite a long time ago, but finally gave up because this
was way above my level. But maybe you are more experienced than I. Here
are the latest waypoints i reached:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=OF0DF2F4B1.2F054E19-ONC1256BCD.005AF7FA%40bbdo.de

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=DD750B82-9918-11D6-B3A3-0030654C2998%40hamburg.de

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=65A1AB24-9A9B-11D6-BF94-0030654C2998%40hamburg.de

I hope this is helpfull in some way to you

>JP

greetings, Lars