Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 12, Issue 37

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 12, Issue 37
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:10:22 +0100

Chad Hardin wrote:

On Nov 27, 2003, at 5:43 PM, David Rogers wrote:

There are several open sourced libs that can help out with most of those. OmniGroup has Apple's WebCore available for download, I think that should be the backend for both the web browser and the development tool. There is also a Javascript interface there too.

http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/Source/MacOSX/Frameworks/

This has been looked into, unless Omni recently changed the license, you cannot distribute modified source code. Since the source code would have to modified to work on GNUstep, there is no point in it.

Hmm. I don't have an OS X System to look at the license in .dmg files, but WebCore seems to be licensed by Apple under the LGPL:
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/webcore/
(Apple's page implies that it would also be applicable to the JavaScriptCore.) So I doubt that these will be available under a different license from Omni (in which case someone should look into how that was possible). Now that doesn't help us with any of the other Omni packages.

Anyway, it has been noted here before, a WebCore port for GNUstep is in progress:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2003-10/msg00124.html

Cheers,
David