Re: Is GNUstep really cross platform? (was: FW: GNUstep on MS Windows (O

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: Is GNUstep really cross platform? (was: FW: GNUstep on MS Windows (Oh boy...i've done it now!))
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 00:15:08 +0100

Am 04.12.2003 um 23:43 schrieb Chris B. Vetter:

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:27:47 +0100
Philip Mötteli <Philip.Moetteli@tele2.ch> wrote:
Am 04.12.2003 um 23:06 schrieb Chris B. Vetter:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:55:14 +0100
Philip Mötteli <Philip.Moetteli@tele2.ch> wrote:
I know, that Apple changed some little things. But so far, this hasn't
been a problem. For that, we have some categories to remain
compatible. Hopefully this doesn't become worse...

I'm not so sure Apple introduced those changes.

We have to look at the official OpenStep definition. This is the point of reference.

Take NSSocketPort as an
example:

Apple's implementation uses

  - (NSData *) address

while GNUstep uses

  - (NSString *) address

These are not just slightly different, as the NSData is a wrapper around
the receiver's socket address structure, while the NSString is the
actual address in dotted notation...

This is nasty, but a problem, that could be solved.
I never said, that everything is just compilable 1:1 on all platforms. There are some minor issues, but the more MOSX people GS are using, the quicker these will be resolved.

Re
Phil