Re: Is GNUstep really cross platform? (was: FW: GNUstep on MS Windows (O

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: Is GNUstep really cross platform? (was: FW: GNUstep on MS Windows (Oh boy...i've done it now!))
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:56:34 +0100

Am 05.12.2003 um 08:02 schrieb John Davidorff Pell:
We seem to have VERY diff sets of information.

Well, as I said, I use GS on my everyday work (not paid, unfortunately). GDL2 and GSWeb, which are huge packages with a tremedous functionality, work here. So don't tell me I'm not using it.

If you ignore the opinions (which from your email seems to be unlikely, no offense), you'll find that there is a whole lot that I had to do to get a GNUstep-base to compile in a usable way, including compiling GNU's objc runtime. GNUSTEP BASE WILL NOT WORK ON APPLE's RUNTIME! The "additions" do compile, but then I don't have a working GNUstep-base, and no DO.

FYI, I have never used, nor know anyone who uses, ONLY GNUstep-base. I'm talking about GNUstep as in ALL OG GNUStep, including GNUstep-gui.

Why would you want to duplicate AppKit and Foundation with something identical? You have redundancy, an awful lot more work for nothing and you're not compatibel with the rest of the system (even copy paste shouldn't work). The only reason could be, if you want to run some specific GS-applications. But we have on MOSX for every GS application something at the very least equivalent. So there's no reason, to not use the native things from MOSX if they are available and only port the differences. Then, DO and NSInvocation and all that work without a problem.