Re: GDI+ and GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: GDI+ and GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 19:10:23 -0500

On 2003-12-04 16:59:22 -0800 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:

Folks,

GDI+ is Microsoft's latest GDI incarnation. This was included with XP and Windows Server 2003, but the GDI+ runtime is available for download for Windows NT, 2000, Win98, and WinME at http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdkredist.htm

for GDI+ documentation see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdicpp/GDIPlus/AboutGDIPlus.asp

This is the right route to go down if anyone is seriously looking into native widget drawing under Windows.

Is it backwards-compatible with earlier versions of Windows? (At least back it Win98, if not Win95.) I'd say that's still important.

And I agree with the native-look faction here. GNUstep apps must integrate into the environment in which they're placed, and follow all the GUI rules of that environment. This is commonly called "being a good GUI citizen," and is one of the most important rules for interface design. Just because X11 mixes toolkits doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

BTW, while I'm on the subject of interfaces, will InterfaceWM use the Camaelon theme engine for its themes? One of the most annoying things about GTK is that you have to have different themes for the window manager and the TK. I can't tell you how much that pisses me off; and I *really* can't tell you how much it will piss off casual users.