Re: compiling c++ source files

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: compiling c++ source files
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 14:34:23 +0000 (GMT)

> hi,
>
> i have to interface to c++ code and haven't found a way to properly
> compile the sources from my GNUmakefile. adding them to
> <toolname>_C_FILES doesn't work, because there is no rule to make the
> object file.
>
> my current workaround is including the .cpp in a .c file and setting
> CC=c++, but i'm sure there is a way to handle this correctly, e.g. by
> writing custom rules.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated, tia,

There are already rules to build C++ stuff ... not sure how much tested
though. :-)

You should add your .cc files to xxx_CC_FILES.  That definitely compiles
them.  Unfortunately, linking doesn't work as g++ has to be used while gcc
is used by default; it seems libstdc++ is not linked in if gcc is used.

Adding libstdc++ seems to work for me -

====

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

TOOL_NAME = Program
Program_CC_FILES = main.cc
Program_TOOL_LIBS += -lstdc++

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/tool.make

====

This looks reasonably clean and simple to me.  I'm not sure how much
portable / correct -lstdc++ is though.

An alternative which also works is the following:

====

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

CC=g++

TOOL_NAME = Program
Program_CC_FILES = main.cc

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/tool.make

====

Again, this seems reasonably clean and simple; if you think this is better
than the other one, you might use this one.

Let me know if it works or not.