Re: Why Renaissance could be the Greatest Thing Ever

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Why Renaissance could be the Greatest Thing Ever
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:04:51 +0000 (GMT)

> With XML, one could possibly start to specify interfaces not in
> terms of _widgets_, but in terms of bigger design chunks.  I would refer
> to these as "classes", much like the classes used in HTML ( div
> class="sidebar", etc. etc.), though the terminology might be a bit
> confusing, especially as these do _not_ overlap with AppKit classes the
> way individual widgets do.

This looks like an interesting idea to me!

The XML easy-editing setup of Renaissance has always been meant to be
extendible to allow you do more complex stuff, such as having tags which
replace themselves with other tags (different depending on a variety of
conditions) when they are decoded.

I suppose it could be implemented as an extension, you just need to add a
special tag, maybe something like <libraryWidget name="..." /> which will
replace/decode itself with tags from other classes. :-)

Another option is to have some sort of XSLT capabilities, and
convert/extend.

Thanks for suggesting.  I'm going on holidays for the New Year now, but I
hope to have a look at that when I'm back.