GNUstep Programming Tutorial

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: GNUstep Programming Tutorial
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:04:18 +0100

Hi all,

With the X-mas spirit in mind I adopted an orphan.

The GNUstep Tutorial by Yen-Ju Chen will be living on as A GNUstep Programming Tutorial. A pre-release is available at:

http://gnustep.made-it.com/GSPT/xml/Tutorial_en.html

(only the English part is still alive)

I know I have taken on a big project with this, since I am only starting to use GNUstep as a programming environment. But it atleast gives me a place to document things I discover and learn from the examples. But I think I can use a lot of help.

The idea will be to extend Yen-Ju's examples to all date/time code snippets since most of his examples are date/time related and since it fits nicely with the Agenda project :)

I would like to make the Tutorial such that it can be read from begining to end, but that you can also find stuff related to a programming problem. Like the file I/O section will be called Reading and Writing files as soon as I have time/knowledge to write more on that subject.

This version is a pre-release; I rearranged some sections. Removed some duplicate chapters for e.g. setting up GNUstep. Chapter 1 is now an Introduction, with a real introduction (which I don't like, and will probably rewrite :) I should contain the credits, and pre-required knowledge etc.
Chapter 2, section 2 is slowly getting into a gnustep-make tutorial,
while the entire Chapter 2 should be an introduction to gnustep-make, base.
Chapter 3 will become the introduction to -gui, -back

And all other chapters cover specific topics.

Last I would like to thank Yen-Ju for his enormous effort of creating this Tutorial and whish you all a happy new year.

Happy Stepping,

Dennis Leeuw