Re: GNUstep <-> Cocoa compatibility

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: GNUstep <-> Cocoa compatibility
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:19:04 -0800

Chris,
me neither. and i'm trying to avoid it as much as possible - that's why
i'm here :)

This is unrealistic if you're actually going to be shipping Mac OS X software. You will *need* Macs for the development and testing of this software. Even if you can somehow manage to not have them, you cannot develop good Mac software without using a Mac.
Yes, this is at least correct. You do need a Mac in some capacity, but you don't NEED a Mac. I've offered the use of my OS X box via VNC to Andy so he could port TalkSoup to OS X. He compiles at the command line using GNUstep-make and uses VNC for interface design and testing. He lives in the midwest, I live in California. Distance isn't really an issue.
This depends on what you want to do. If you just take the GNUstep code
and suply a new NIB file for MacOSX not many problems should be
hmm, GUIs of applications i write are usually either simple enough to be coded "manually" instead of being designed in an IB/GORM or aims to be dynamic
and complex enough to be generated on fly from underlying data model
instead of being designed ...
This is almost never how it's done on Mac OS X with Cocoa. Almost all Cocoa interfaces are created using Interface Builder.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this model, and it increases portability significantly. Just because you happen to not like it doesn't mean it's wrong in any way. Personally, I use interface builder, but I don't see what's wrong with procedurally coding GUIs if that's your personal preference.
does this make job of porting my [hynothetical] GNUstep application to
cocoa easier?
Potentially since there would be no interface resources to convert. However, the interface metrics between GNUstep and Mac OS X are very different, and the human interface guidelines are also very different. (E.g. where the buttons in an alert are placed and what they should be called, and also whether an alert should be independent or attached to a window as a sheet...)
GNUstep doesn't have sheets. I believe there are issues with Apple's gargantuan patent collection, but don't quote me on that...
I can't recommend Renaissance strongly enough for this kind of project, even if you're coding the human interface directly. It has layout managers, which can mitigate the differences between the interface metrics on the two platforms.
Renaissance is not a panacea, however...
i rather want the following: develop an application in GNU environment
until i'm satisfied with it, checkout it from cvs onto MacOSX machine
and build it to run on MacOS.
This is unrealistic. It may be technically possible but it is not the way to develop good software on either platform.
It might not be the best way to develop good software on OS X, but it's a perfectly fine model under GNUstep. Anyways, he'll figure all this out once he actually starts to port GNUstep code over to OS X, and he'll figure it out in a hurry.
--
Alex Perez
aperez@student.santarosa.edu