Re: GNUstep frameworks on Solaris

From: Alexander V. Diemand
Subject: Re: GNUstep frameworks on Solaris
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:12:12 +0100

Nicola Pero wrote:
|>Hi Andreas,
|>
|>I have done this once. The problem is that Sun uses an ugly version of
|>the /bin/sh(ell).
|>
|>Try to change all "tests", which read "[ -L ...]" to "[ -h ...]".
|>Example in System/Library/Makefiles/Instance/framework.make:
|>lines reading:
|>          if [ ! -L "Current" ]; then \
|>should be changed to:
|>          if [ ! -h Current ]; then \
|>
|>This should get you going.
|

| Thanks!  Interesting.  I thought test -L and test -h were the same, so I
| preferred test -L as more readable.
|
| It looks like I was wrong - they are not the same on old Solaris!, and I
| better replace all occurrences of test -L with test -h.  :-)
|
| Anyone having a reason not to replace test -L with test -h ?
|
| Otherwise I'll do it on CVS.

on SunOS, "man test" gives:

..
~          -h filename
~                True if filename exists and is a  symbolic  link.
~                With  all  other primitives (except -L filename),
~                the symbolic links are followed by default.
..
~          -L filename
~                True if filename exists and is a  symbolic  link.
~                With  all  other primitives (except -h filename),
~                the symbolic links are followed by default.
.. further down:
~     The -L option is a migration aid for users of  other  shells
~     which  have  similar  options  and  may  not be supported in
~     future releases.
..

Their doc is from: "SunOS 5.8           Last change: 13 Dec 1996"

I have been looking up docs at the OpenGroup
(http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/utilities/test.html),
where they indicate both -h and -L as tests for symbolic links.

Though everyone might have implemented both -h and -L, Sun decided to be
~ ahead of them all! ;-)

You are right, "-h" is the better choice.

Greetings

Alex.