GNUstep.org (Sorry that I have to move this out of the webmaster list.)?

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: GNUstep.org (Sorry that I have to move this out of the webmaster list.)?
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 00:25:05 GMT

I'd support the redesign, because <URL:http://www.gnustep.org/> fails
W3C's HTML validator with the following error message:

    I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling
    from any of the valid sources for such information. Without
    encoding information it is impossible to validate the document.
    The sources I tried are:
        * The HTTP Content-Type field.
        * The XML Declaration.
        * The HTML "META" element.

    And I even tried to autodetect it using the algorithm
    defined in Appendix F of the XML 1.0 Recommendation.

    Since none of these sources yielded any usable information,
    I will not be able to validate this document. Sorry.
    Please make sure you specify the character encoding in use.

    IANA maintains the list of official names for character sets.

Whereas <URL:http://acherondesign.com/~largo/gnustep.org/> passes (both
versions pass the CSS validator OK).

Also, because <URL:http://www.gnustep.org/> doesn't work in my browser
(Opera 7.50) - the right-hand column overlays some of the main text -
whereas the revised version looks OK.

Re the possibility of replacing PHP by something else - note that the
"download" page uses PHP, and should probably be made consistent if it
is decided to change.

--

    Richard Stonehouse