Re: XML idea

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:29:24 +0000 (GMT)

> > It's easy to make everyone happy with stuff like NSToolBar.  We put an
> > implementation in gnustep-gui.  If you are an OpenStep purist and don't
> > want to use it, you don't use it - you can ignore it.  If you are an
> > Apple-compatible guy and want to use it, you use it.  I don't see why
> > we
> > should remove NSToolBar from gnustep-gui.  The problem arises when
> > adding
> > Apple compatibility pollutes or confuses the original OpenStep classes
> > (then, we need a "superior workaround").  Adding an additional separate
> > class does not.
>
> I know at least one core developer who will likely fight the inclusion
> of NSToolbar. Many think Apple's Toolbar implementation sucks.

In my experience, things tend not to work very well when we are "fighting"
between each other. :-)

Both points of view have their reasons.

In this case to me it looks like if we add NSToolbar and write clearly in
the documentation that it's there just/mainly for compatibility with the
current Apple system (maybe we document it in a different section, outside
the main listing of classes, in an Apple compatibility area), the solution
should make everyone happy and I don't see any reason to "fight".