Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability betweenGNUstep<---> Coc

From: Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability betweenGNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:26:09 +0100

In article <mailman.652.1074102645.928.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <Lars.Sonchocky-Helldorf@bbdo-interone.de>
 wrote:
> Here GNUstep fits in. I think
> GNUstep and Cocoa can get in to a win-win situation if both decide to
> colaborate: GNUstep gets developers and apps, Cocoa gets a cross platform
> solution. Both sides just have to overcome prejustices and arrogance (and
> this exists on both sides, believe me).

Lars,

 it might be wise to mention here that Apple make most of their money
from hardware sales. Which is a very handy explanation of why Apple
"killed" YellowBox. If GNUstep succeeds, developers will be able to
develop as quickly on Intel computers as they can with Cocoa right now.

 Which *might* mean lower hardware sales for Apple. I'm no analyst, but
I'd suggest you folks be careful, because if Apple see you as a threat
to their hardware sales they probably won't make it easier for you to
implement compatible APIs on other platforms...

> And on big screens there should be sufficient space for a toolbar. And if
> you _really_ dont like toolbars, you can hide them.

 Except if you are in the Finder, of course ;-)
(sorry, Mac-user inside-joke -- if you've read John Siracusa's articles
on the Finder at ArsTechnica, you may know what I'm talking about)

Cheers,
-- Uli
"Where oh where has my server gone..."