Re: PostScript wrappers

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: PostScript wrappers
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:03:46 -0700

On Monday, January 19, 2004, at 05:16 PM, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
Converting those to plain C files wasn't a problem for -make, however,
compiling the library failed, since there were references to
DPS-functions that are missing. I found those eventually referenced in
gnustep-dgs, deep down in -dgs/DPS/include/DPS/dpsfriends.h
Adding the headers did help compilation, but linking of course failed,
since there were now unreferenced function calls...

My question is, whether there are plans to write a wrapper for the
current backend(s) that implements these, or whether it's even feasible
to do so.

It's really not feasible in the general case, since a psw file can contain any type of PostScript - thus we'd need a full PS interpreter. pswrap translates the psw file to binary sequences that the PS interpreter can read, so we'd have to write something to decode that as well. Pretty hard.

The best I can think of is perhaps writing our own limited PSW->C translator. Most psw files are pretty simple so it would probably work most of the time.