Re: NSKeyedArchiver/NSKeyedUnarchiver (was Re: GModel decision)

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Re: NSKeyedArchiver/NSKeyedUnarchiver (was Re: GModel decision)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:52:42 +0900

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

My understanding is that Kazunobo pretty much volunteered to attempt to write compatible encoder/decoder code for keyed archives. Certainly there seem to
be people who would like this level of compatibility.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your kind effort towards this. But, as for me, I haven't thought of this level of compatibility. If some of my statements sound like imposing on you something more than I expected, I apologize to you for it.

I don't need it myself, but I'm attempting to make the keyed archiver/unarchiver classes capable of being used to read/write MacOS-X archives if the coder/decoder methods available support it. To do otherwise would be to place an unnecessary
barrier in the way of people who do want archive compatibility.

I'm sorry I can't find a way to compensate the time you spent for it.

The compatibility in question could be left to another project. Having the keyed archiver/unarchiver for the sake of GNUstep supposedly makes this hypothetical project easier. Rather, they could help maintaining compatiblity of archives
between different future versions of GNUstep.

The commitment I made to this subproject still remains the same. So I'd be happy
if you could go on the implementation of the classes.

I hope this note also resolves some of the problems Gregory pointed out.

- Kazunobu Kuriyama