GNUstep Dev Tools on Mac OS X Report

From: Phillip Tamulonis
Subject: GNUstep Dev Tools on Mac OS X Report
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:18:16 -0500

Hello.

Just wanted to report a few problems running Gorm and ProjectCenter on Mac OS X.

First of all, Gorm doesn't play well with Apple's default quartz-wm window manager. Quartz-wm draws it own titlebars on GNUstep menus, offsetting the focus slightly. It's also difficult to drag and drop objects from the palette and almost impossible to make connections. All of these problems disappear under WindowMaker. Not a big deal.

When adding libraries in ProjectCenter, PC doesn't recognize shared libraries with the .dylib extension, as they appear on Mac OS X/Darwin. Also the linker gives me undefined symbols when linking against the chronographer library when it shouldn't . I don't know if this applies to other libraries.

All in all, I'm impressed with how far GNUstep's Dev Tools have come along. Gorm in particular looks and works beautifully. Pretty snappy.

Hopes this helps.

Thx.

--PT