Re: Help create a Mac OSX port of Charmap

From: Christopher Culver
Subject: Re: Help create a Mac OSX port of Charmap
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:20:03 +0200 (CEST)

Chad Hardin wrote:
> I just looked over the "Special Characters..." Mac OS X has in the Edit
> Menu, which brings up the character palette.   Let me tell you, it is
> simply awesome.  If Charmap matches up to it, I would be very
> impressed.  For instance, look here.  I am able to find Chinese
> characters by stroke count.  It also gives me related characters.  It
> actually *UNDERSTANDS* the language, it is much much more than
> something which displays the code tables.

Funny how no one ever told me before about this "character palette"
when I asked what I'd be competing with on OS X...

In any event, CJK support will beginning to appear in Charmap with the
0.3 release. I can already imagine how OS X gives the information it
does, and believe it would be quite feasible to implement the same on
Charmap. The CJK files available at Unicode.org list things like
stroke count, so it's a mere matter of massaging them into a usable
format. I'll be using scripts adapted from gucharmap, a GPL character
map from GNOME, to do so.

So, prepare to be impressed, I guess. ;-)

Christopher Culver