Re: Basic cross-platfrom program?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Basic cross-platfrom program?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:21:32 +0200

on 6/9/04 7:48 PM, Adam Fedor at fedor@doc.com wrote:

> A number of people have said they use it and it works fine though...
>
> I do some work on Solaris 7, which works fine. People with Solaris 8
> have had troubles installing GNUstep, but I don't remember exactly what
> they were. Once it is installed it should work fine. But I'd like
> someone who has Solaris 8 to give me an report so I can update the
> Platform information.

I work on solaris "6" (Well, 2.6, with SunOS 5.6... SUn makes always a mess
with versions). I have it both on 32bit and on 64bit with gcc 3.2, 3.3, 3.4.
(on the first I am not sure, I need to check)

I have no particular problems and I track CVS.

there are some caveats though:

- NSBitmapImageRep+JPEG.m fails to work correctly with gcc 3.3 and 3.4 with
-O2 (the default setup). switching back to -O1 makes it work. If someone
with sparc insight wants the assembly code...

- there are problems with iconv. I have it installed in /usr/local/ from
sunfreeware, but there are linking problems, probably the standard system
header is detected but then I get missing symbols on the GNU version. adding
-liconv at link time helps for SOME programs.

- locks seem to give troubles. At least the last time I tried GNUMail it
died with locks.

- there is a name clash between the gcc-objc Object.h header and some
solaris system headers... (-> "STR")

- some applications may have trouble or be unstable. But his is not a
solaris issue per se, but because most software is developed and tested on
linux/x86. Often those bugs repeat themselves on OpenBSD/sparc or NetBSD 68k
or PPC. They can range from some careless use of data types or some bad
headers... Often it is a small fix that fixes them all...

other caveats I don't remember.

-R