Re: Excellent technical overview of D-BUS

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Excellent technical overview of D-BUS
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:45:05 +0100

On 2004-09-01 14:54:02 +0800 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
While the organizational simplicity of that is appealing, I'm not sure it's a good idea. The gdomap server is just used to look up ports by service name ... it's needed in order to locate a service on the network, but plays no role in the actual messaging.

I see. What about starting services on demand? No more message bus. Just a service monitoring and lookup hub. But still split into local and network parts.

Ah ... I forgot that part.
Yes, I think that launching services on demand is a good thing - and I think a daemon to do it is a good thing (if implemented in a very security conscious way). I don't think gdomap is at all appropriate for it though ... I would rather have another daemon for the job (or if it is *really* important to keep the daemon count down,
I'd extend gdnc or gpbs rather than gdomap).

Currently we have host-local DO via unix domain sockets (NSMessagePort) except on windows, and this does not require/use gdomap ... since we don't need to look up the service on the network. We know it's local and can look it up via a local database of some sort (eg. the local filesystem).
If you dont want network DO then dont run the network ipc part.
Yes.

Now I need to start reading gdomap code.

If you are wanting to write a service/application launching daemon, I think you would be better-off writing it in ObjC and designed to communicate with other processes using DO. ie, write it entirely using the base library classes so it's completely portable. For this I would recommend looking at gdnc (for basic DO server operation), and NSWorkspace.m
(application launching) and GSServicesManager.m for more complex stuff.