Re: Looking for help writing apps

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Looking for help writing apps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:48:18 -0600

On Sep 27, 2004, at 10:42 AM, Riccardo wrote:
1. A non-graphic installer.
I'm trying to solve the chicken-and-egg problem of installing gnustep software without a nice GUI application. This installer would be very basic, checking for potential conflicts, prerequisites and potential problems. Then install and test the basic GNUstep system. Just enough to get the graphical installer/setup app started.
do you think it should assist in code compilation and installation or should it work for binary distributions? Do you think it should be only for an "autonomous install" like one currently does with make install or should it deal also with package based stuff, like Solaris, linux and BSD have ?

Sure, but the problem with binary distributions is either:
1. Well packaged/regulated systems don't even need an installer
2. Not well packaged ones often have incompatibilities or conflicts
3. Of all the rest, very few have up-to-date packages.

3. A Setup.app application for after GNUstep is installed.
I think this could be very similar, and perhaps based on the Preferences.app application, except that it would explicity step the user through setting the time zone, default languages, etc. Perhaps also setup an xsession file to startup GWorkspace and WindowManager (if installed). Then lead the user
to some helpful beginner information...

It seems that you describe here a "wizard" and I would inspire myself both at apple installation and at the excellent IRIX IndigoMagic setups of the System Manager. What I really like of the system manager

Yes. That's what I mean.