Re: database trouble

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: database trouble
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:57:45 +0100

On 28 Sep 2004, at 09:28, Ralph Moeritz wrote:

Hi friendly folks,

I like GNUstep, and so I'm trying to convince people to use it
(mostly Java & .NET developers). My problem is that GS-Base &
GS-Gui are not really convincing arguments to switch from
Java or .NET. What most folks are missing is:

- database abstraction ala JDBC[1]
- OpenGL toolkit

I know that free software needs community involvement to succeed, and
so I'd like to know what needs to be done to implement Apple's EOF.
I'm not a great programmer, and my biggest problem is connectivity,
as an Internet connection is really expensive in South Africa. I
do believe that I can help, however, so if anyone would be kind enough
to send me the EOF specifications and technical references (I don't
have access to a Mac :-(, then I'd be glad to help out.

[1] I know that GDL2 is available, but last time I checked it was
somewhat stale and only available through CVS.

My impression was that GDL2 was usable and still being developed,
but others can probably tell you better.

However, GDL2 is a higher level abstraction layer, not really equivalent to the low-level functionality of JDBC (it's a lot more powerful in many ways).
If you are looking for a JDBC equivalent, you want SQLClient instead
(get dev-libs/SQLClient from CVS).