Re: ANN: GNUstep Gui Version 0.9.4

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep Gui Version 0.9.4
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:13:31 -0600

On Oct 1, 2004, at 1:30 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
I think it's a mistake to couple the soname with the release
number. what's the problem using the general triple soname schema
supported by libtool?

I should probably write up a policy about this somewhere, but... libtool says you shouldn't try to relate the soname and the release version because they have nothing to do with each other. I'd consider that strange reasoning, but anyway - my policy from now on is that they will be related. Changes in the major or minor release version indicate some kind of interface change in the library. libtool's versioning system is interesting, and we might consider it for the future, but first some facts:

1. The current GNUstep-make policy for all libraries is that the SONAME consists of the library name and the major version number. 2. That's not very fine-grained for me, so I've changed that policy for base/gui so that it also has the minor version number in it.

changing this policy would involve changing how GNUstep-make handles the version numbers. That would probably affect all libraries, not just the GNUstep core libraries.