Re: Default colors vs. gamma

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Default colors vs. gamma
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:29:13 +0100

Le 12 oct. 04, à 09:44, Dennis Leeuw a écrit :

Alex Perez wrote:
On 11 Oct 2004, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
[snip]
And for gamma-newbies around here like me, why should the gamma be 1.6
rather than 1.0?  Why shouldn't we keep 'absolute' values for colors
(gamma=1.0) everywhere?
This is another point of contention I have with these 1.6 gamma zealots. 1.6 is an arbitrary gamma value, and is not correct for every (quite possibly even most) monitors, but "they" won't tell you that. They just blindly tell everyone to set their gamma to 1.6, and the ignorant and innocent newbies do it, often without question. Several of these high-gamma advocates don't even understand what they're recommending to people (this is of course my opinion and my opinion only).
For a brief and easy-to-understand overview of Gamma, read
http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm .

The different patterns on that page, in conjunction with:
http://www.linuks.mine.nu/displaycalibrator/
might be able to solve the problem at the source. No patches needed just a manual/helpviewer-doc to set you the right gamma. Might even be part of Preferences.

Step 1: Set date and time
Step 2: Set language
Step 3: Set gamma

Well, the problem is not just a technical one... The thing is, Gtk/Qt "expects" a gamma of 1.6-1.8. We expect a gamma of 1.0. Technically, you can
say we're right (although, only if the display is calibrated).
But for people, we are wrong, as we behave differently than Gtk/Qt, and as nearly nobody sets their gamma. I think we should have by default the same kind of "wrongness", but we should emphasis the fact that it's wrong and the user should calibrate his display... i.e, we should have by default a 1.6 correction for example, so that GNUstep looks "good" out of the box, and have perhaps some kind of "introduction" app that actually ask the user to set things properly (or it could be in Preferences.app). In any way, this "wrongness" is not _that_ problematic for us, as we can/should easily change our gamma value. So why not use the same "setting" as all GNOME/KDE.. for people that want to properly set their display, it won't be difficult to do for GNUstep. But for all the other people, at least, it will look the same as their KDE/GNOME apps. In any ways, a 1.0 is as "wrong" as a 1.6-1.8 on a non-calibrated display. So I think we should align here with GNOME/KDE.

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke