Re: Problems building GNUstep-base on Darwin x86 using gcc 4.0 (experime

From: Yves de Champlain
Subject: Re: Problems building GNUstep-base on Darwin x86 using gcc 4.0 (experimental)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:40:31 -0400

Using:

./configure --disable-do CC='/opt/local/bin/gcc'
LDFLAGS='-L/opt/local/lib -lobjc-gnu'

kind of works. Now I only get:

/usr/bin/ld: for architecture i386
/usr/bin/ld: warning undefined symbols:
___udivdi3
___umoddi3
___fixunsdfdi
___fixunssfdi
_gnustep_base_user_main

which is a different problem.

You can 'fix' that by adding -lgcc or -lgcc_s

As you say, the gnustep make system is hard to get in and the principal
thing I did when building on darwin was to add LDFLAGS everywhere which
can't be a final solution.
I did begin to add flags in the system makefiles and got some results
but I ended up at a point where a more global view of the makefiles
was needed.

yves

Solution:
=========

Fiddling around with LDFLAGS can IMHO only be a timed workaround to
realize what gnustep-make should manage in the future. Sadly I am not
familiar with the innards of gnustep-make and so I am unable what would
be the right thing to do. I think it would be good if configure could
recognize the combination of Darwin, the library-combo gnu-gnu-gnu and
the use of (an alternate) gcc and add the appropriate stuff to
ADDITIONAL_LIB_DIRS and ADDITIONAL_OBJC_LIBS.

Is that possible?

regards, Lars